Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Night in the ER

Monday night I had my first experience in an emergency room. I had been experiencing severe abdominal pain all day, and it was getting worse, so after consulting a few people, we decided to have me checked out. We arrived in the ER at about 9:30, and it was FULL!!!! It is a good thing JT just finished a rotation there, because a 4-5 hour wait was reduced to about 15 minutes. After blood and urine tests, it was determined that I had a urinary tract infection, and I could go home with a prescription. We were very relieved. We went home at about 4 am. I was astounded that it took so long, but considering how many people were there, I shouldn't have been suprised. The other thing that suprised/annoyed me was that it took two hours to get a breast pump, and then when it came, I couldn't use it becuase none of the attachments were with it (like the suction cups and bottles). I don't understand why they would send the pump without the attachments to use it. I was sent home before they got there, and was more than a little annoyed since I was 3hours past time to feed/pump, and was VERY uncomfortable. To top it off, we were pulled over less than a mile from home because one of our break lights on the van was out. We didn't get a ticket, but I wasn't in the mood to be charitable. JT will be fixing the light before getting the van inspected on Friday. I spent most of Tuesday in bed unable to move. I was taking the antibiotic, but it hadn't had enough time to take effect. By Tuesday night, I was able to roll over and sit up on my own, and now I am mostly functional, with just a little pain. Poor JT was running on no sleep for over 48 hours before I was able to function enough to take care of the baby/kids while he got some sleep. It is a good thing Ashley is getting better at sleeping at night, or he would have had a REALLY bad time of it. As it turned out, he still slept until almost 11 this morning. That's okay, he deserved the rest. Speaking of the baby, she wants attention. Will keep posting as things stay interesting.

2 comments:

Kelsy said...

Yuk...UTIs are not fun. SO uncomfortable. But hey (and I don't mean to be gross) what other time do you get to see your urine turn a nice shade of pumpkin orange?? He he...good luck. Hope you get better!

Orme Family said...

WoW!!! Congratulations on Arizona. That is so exciting! Tell James good job! We are still unknown. Also, I loved your birth story! That is really a good one. Sounds a bit frantic like the movies. I hope you guys are going to graduation. We are planning a picnic in Central Park on the Saturday after with everyone. Keep in touch.